Schiller Park is a historical park located in the heart of German Village. This park is the second oldest park in Columbus (right after Goodale Park) and is rich with Ohio history! The area was originally known as Stewart's Grove, but was later named City Park after the city of Columbus purchased the land. It did not become Schiller park until 1891 when a statue of German poet Friedrich von Schiller was presented to the park.
Anti-German sentiment during WWII caused yet another name change to the park, and it briefly became Washington Park. But it went back to Schiller Park several years after the war. This park is a staple in the community of German Village and the city of Columbus as a whole! So many historic events have happened here: Oktoberfests, The Ohio State Fair, a zoo and various other festivals and community celebrations.
Nowadays, you can check out the park's beautiful garden, the path around which has Schiller quotes carved into the stone. The park also offers a fishing pond, softball diamonds, picnic areas, rec center, and a stage for summer theatre performances. It is a beautiful place to enjoy an afternoon with friends or family and take a walk through the park.